John 12. 47-50
47 “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. 49 For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. 50 I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”
Words, Words, WordsIn today’s world words are important. They help us to express our feelings, to share news, they are used to hurt and to encourage. We use words to communicate. They come in so many forms, books, emails, text messages, social media, and words that come out of our mouths.
Words can hurt you.
I remember when I was a child, there were some girls that used to call me names and my mother used to say to me: Ignore them because Sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never harm you.
Don’t ever believe that words can’t hurt you because I'm afraid – words do hurt you and make you feel bad.
Gossip can destroy lives when someone says, do you know – that she did this or said that. Ask yourself is it true? You can’t unhear what was said but you have the power not to repeat it.
Walking down the corridor with everyone whispering about you.. does that make you feel good? Or bad?
Word can be used against us and make us feel rejected.
Words can be used as lies.
I have heard it said that there are no bad words, but words that make others feel bad and it is wrong to hurt other people.
Words can change lives.
· A judge changes peoples life with the words Guilty or not guilty.
· A doctor changes life when his words tell a patient good news or bad news.
· A priest can change peoples lives with the words I now pronounce you man and wife.
· A teacher changes lives with words that teach us.
· Jesus… changes lives with the words – follow me.
· God’s words created the world. Let there be light! And there was.
· We can change peoples lives with kind words.
Words can make us feel good.
· We can use words to encourage one another.
· We can use words to tell each other how we feel.
· God used words to let Jesus know that he was pleased with him.
· Jesus used words to forgive us.
· Jesus used words to teach us.
· Jesus used words to pray.
· Jesus used words to bless us.
This is how we should use our words.
Words are a gift, and we need to make sure that we use them with care.
Words are powerful be careful how you use them.
Think of all the good words we use..
Love, light, blessing, forgiveness, wonderful, beautiful, care, kindness, compassion, understanding, praise I am sure you can think of many more..
Why not make a word wall? With decorated positive words.
With the title ‘We should choose our words with care.’
Decorate the letters using buttons, coloured paper, sequins, decorated paper, coloured shapes in fact anything you can find.
Why not use the words to create a wordsearch?
Click here to make your own
Or play scrabble.
Or play Chinese whispers.
Or play charades – trying to find the words by using no words.