Are you afraid of the Dark?

Are you afraid of the Dark?

John 3. 19-21       
Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

Are you afraid of the Dark? I wonder if you have ever experienced a time when the power
Are you afraid of the drak
has gone off at night, and you have been left in complete darkness.  Or have you ever woken up in the middle of the night in the pitch black?
I know I was afraid of the dark when I was a little girl? I used to sleep with a nightlight on.

Why are we afraid? Our imaginations run wild in the dark, it’s the place of nightmares.

Everything changes in the dark, ordinary things change into weird shapes, and we imagine that there are scary things hiding in the dark, under the bed and even our dressing gown hanging on the back of the door transforms into a something scary after the light goes out.

But when we switch the light on, everything is as it should be, the light shows that there is nothing to be scared of and we feel safe again.

I heard of a story I’m not sure where I got it from but it goes like this..

There was once a little boy who was playing hide and seek, he was hiding in the cupboard, the cupboard was very, very dark. The little boy found a torch and he switched it on, and what he saw was cobwebs, spiders, dust and dirt. And he very quickly got out of the cupboard.


It seems that unpleasant things lurk in the dark and we associate evil or evil deeds with the dark. Sometimes I think we live in a dark world whenever I watch the news and hear of what people do to others.

When people are ashamed of something they try and bury it, hide it in a dark place. They don’t want people to see it and they keep it a secret. When someone steals something they hide it in a dark place as they don’t want it to be found.

Sometimes the dark place is inside ourselves.

Hatred, jealousy, spite, stealing, lies, violence, bullying etc

These are all dark characteristics that can live within us.

Jesus tell us that he is the light that will shine in the dark corners of our lives, and that light will show up our dark characteristics, and unwise decisions that hurt others.

Jesus came to transform our lives so that we no longer live in darkness, so that we can be forgiven for the things we are ashamed of, and so that we no longer need to be afraid of the dark.

So, when you’re next afraid of the dark remember that inside us we have the light of Jesus and that will help us feel less afraid.

To remember that Jesus is the Light in our world:

Why not make a luminous cross.


Using glow in the dark paint, which is available from Amazon.


suggest that you use thick card cut into the shape of a cross.

Put a hole in the top before you start painting. Paint the cross then hang it up to dry.

OR

Using acetates cut out crosses and use glow in the dark stickers.

OR

Using glow sticks attach them in the middle to form a cross.

All reminders that we are never alone in the dark.


A song about light for children.


This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine,
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

The light that shines is the light of love,
Lights the darkness from above,
It shines on me and it shines on you,
And shows what the power of love can do.

I’m gonna shine my light both far and near,
I’m gonna shine my light both bright and clear.
Where there’s a dark corner in this land,
I’m gonna let my little light shine.

On Monday he gave me the gift of love,
Tuesday peace came from above.
On Wednesday he told me to have more faith.
On Thursday he gave me a little more grace.
Friday he told me just to watch and pray.
Saturday he told me just what to say.
On Sunday he gave me the pow’r divine
To let my little light shine.
Share on Google Plus

About Michelle Bailey

Reverend Michelle Bailey is the Rural Officer for the Bishop of Brecon and Swansea  She previously worked in Children's Ministry and was ordained in the Church of England. Her blog includes ideas on presenting concepts of faith to young children to the age of eleven and furthering faith development in an educational context. Michelle currently lives in Wales and is also developing a rural ministry blog.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment